Does your basement feel damp, mold grows on the walls and the clothes and furniture are starting to look like spotty old bread? Well, that is what generally happens when home owners are not aware of excess moisture in the air of their homes, but now that you do, you know a good dehumidifier is the answer to your problems.
Hi, I’m Nadia. I’m going to recommend good dehumidifiers for home users like you and me. In this blog I have covered most of the top rated dehumidifiers, from small dehumidifiers for your bathroom, to big ones for your basement.
How to Choose the Best Dehumidifier
You would be better off choosing the right dehumidifier than choosing the best one. You’d start thinking about the price and fancy features whatnot, but actually you should be thinking of getting one that can do the job correctly and effectively. So before you go shopping for a dehumidifier, you’ve got to know the:
- Room Size - Whether it is your bedroom, basement or bathroom, find out how many square feet the space is. Consider that you might want to dehumidify more than one room.
- Humidity level and Temperature of Room – A psychrometer (hygrometer) can be used to check the humidity and a thermometer for the temperature. Some models of dehumidifiers do not work in low temperature, they will frost up and stop. Dehumidifiers designed for low temperature operation are more expensive.
Ok, now you have the technical information to shop for a dehumidifier.
Before deciding to buy any model of dehumidifier, check these important points:
- Capacity (how many pints per day)
- Auto defrost or frost guard if required
- Energy efficiency
- Level of sound
- Auto drain feature
- Size and design (to fit your room)
To make things easy, I’ve written a guide in which you can see what should be the capacity of the dehumidifier you need, as well as what dehumidifier features you should look out for. Do you know that the design of a dehumidifier also plays a role in its efficiency? Click here to go to my guide now.
If you know what features you want but don’t want to go through all the brands and models for the perfect one, no problem! I have some recommendations for you. Click here to find out what are the top rated dehumidifiers for basement, small spaces, and small to medium to large bedrooms, or look at the Best Dehumidifier 2014.
Best Dehumidifier for Your Home – Top Picks
Click on these quick links to see my recommendations or scroll down to see them all:
- Best Dehumidifier for Small Spaces – Great for bathrooms, musty closets and small storage spaces in the house that you need to keep dry.
- Best Bedroom Dehumidifier – A quiet dehumidifier for a small to medium size bedroom.
- Best Dehumidifier for Large Area – Value buy with washable air filter.
- Energy Efficient Dehumidifier – Energy Star rated dehumidifier to save cost.
- Best Buy Dehumidifier – 70-pint dehumidifier at a great price.
- Best Basement Dehumidifier - Anti-frost operation for continuous dehumidification of your basement.
- Best Gun Safe Dehumidifier – A dehumidifier to keep your guns dry.
I expect you would want to read as many useful tips as you can before chucking in the cash, so hopefully you can find them in this site and my blog.
Other Tips and Guides for Dehumidifiers
I hope you can find your dehumidifier through my recommendations and reviews of dehumidifiers. Anyway I will also update this site and write some topics of interest about dehumidifiers now and then. Here are a few to start with:
- Reasons to Get a Dehumidifier
- Safety Measures for Your Dehumidifier
- How to Keep Your Dehumidifier Working
- How to Choose the Best Basement Dehumidifier - The requirements for a good basement dehumidifier and a good bedroom dehumidifier are slightly different.
I know some people set a lot of store by the brands, so here are dehumidifiers according to brand name. I personally like Delonghi for their design, Frigidaire for their functionality and Soleus Air for their quiet operation. The prices are very competitive with all those brands around, so make sure you shop around before you decide on a particular model or even brand.
I will update my blog with more dehumidifier reviews and tips on choosing the right dehumidifier for your house use. Hope you found my reviews helpful and if you like my blog, do share it with your friends! Read this article if you like to know how dehumidifiers really work:)